Custom/Hybrid The BOB Hull & its recent changes

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
I assembled a gen 1 and a gen 1.5

Don't worry about the haters. Never understood the hating other than those screwed over by WDK. I love all the aftermarket hull choices we have.

I think this thread is pertaining to a certain batch of BOB's that went not according to what they should have been, we have purchased 2 BOB's and facilitated several other BOB sales, I have built numerous skis and dont shy extra fabrication and therefore know how to " mac Gyver" stuff.....
The Quality and built effort of our First BOB received was as previously stated with other Owners easy and effortless, unfortunatly the second BOB we received belonged to the Monday built "B" batch ( just my saying ) and showed numerous issues that where by all means not of cosmetic nature ( you can pm me if you have any further questions to specifics ). I had adressed the issues with the ski clinic and final results are pending.....

I can by all means say the the ski clinic has been answering any and all questions and concerns raised and has so far always offered a solution , therefore I will credit there effort ( at the time being ) to "makes things right" and the motion of DK to expose the company to critic with a thread started to clarify on work performed in past and what to expect in the future.....

There are not any companies that i know of that admit in public of the fabrication defects and there intentions to produce a superior product in the future unless they are caught or someone gor sued or died ......just sit back and think about all the car company recalls, Iphones not working, software upgrades not working and other stuff you have bought in the past....

Pro active approach in customer satisfaction

Last edited:

DK-Freestyle

2011 World Champion
I think what DK is doing is good working with with folks more directly and taking the issues head on. I may be preaching to quire here but here are some things that I have noticed on my build, hopefully you can improve on them or others find this useful. But before reading understand I am one of those guys who is highly organized and likes to have all parts ready for a build. Then invite friends over and drink/stay up all night making the wrenching a fun time not a time to get frustrated...

- I think you guys should have included more information with the documentation you provided with the hull. I'm on the east coast and calling you guys every time I have a question just doesn't seem logical and more difficult with the time difference. Also, now that you guys are on your 3rd generation people are not buying directly from you and opening up that relationship. Can I still call you and bug you even though I didn't buy from you? I bought my BOB from a dealer in NJ. I think the Build a BOB videos are an excellent idea and you should expand on that!

We plan to put together some more 'build-a-bob videos' in the near future.

- You should probably tell folks they are going to have to drill out all the holes themselves on the ski they just dropped 4K plus on. I have no issues with it but I can understand how this can be kinda nerve racking if you aren't used to building skis. Handle pole, bilge, e-box, pissers, etc. I also understand you probably do this for some folks before shipping, but you also probably charge them for it. I also understand people have different setups so you a providing more of a blank slate to work with.

Seeing as how we don't know what kind of equipment everyone is using or where they want their parts mounted, we do not drill holes for bypass fittings, bilge fittings, e-boxes, etc. I've seen customers put multiple bilge fittings on, multiple bypass fittings on, bypass fittings on the very front, very rear, side, tray, etc. There's too many variations of those kind of parts, and we don't want to limit our customers to where they are force to install those pieces.

- You say all parts swap over and they for the most part do, I understand at the end of the day this is still aftermarket and the occasional thing may need tweaking. Personally I had to grind my intake grate a little bit to fit. No big deal for me, but some one else might get a little upset over that when they just dropped an additional $225 for a new grate and have to take a grinder to it but I'm fine with that.

That is one of the issues we are addressing, I personally have been fixing it these past few weeks.

- Most people I have talked to run the x-metal waterbox ($240) so I bought one, but then I had to pay an additional $40 to get it re-welded to fit. Thanks for telling me that when I ordered but that should probably go in your documentation and on your site. Good thing I bought from you and not directly from x-metal. I would have been pissed if I did buy from them (one state away from me, faster/cheaper shipping) and it didn't fit.

You're putting aftermarket parts in a aftermarket hull, there's going to be some modifications needed for many parts. We advertise that all STOCK super jet parts will fit, not all Aftermarket. A PFP exhaust or stock/ Factory Pipe water box needs no modification to fit in our hull, however the X-Metal water box was designed for the super jet, not all AM hulls, so minor modifications were needed.

- Who runs a stock pole on a BOB? So that part doesn't seem to swap over for most people.Nearly every picture I have seen has the BOB with a RRP pole, some x-metal, and a few AC poles. That being said RRP pole setups ($1500) are confusing to figure out since you have to buy everything separately. Seeing as most people run that on the BOB you could have included all the RRP parts you will need in your documentation. (or at least describe some various options). It's frustrating after dropping $1500 on the pole only to get the parts and have to wait a few more days, pay for extra shipping for something stupid like a $18 spring tensioner or $30 pole bolt.

I have seen a couple of Stock poles on our hulls, however the majority of our clientele choose to purchase aftermarket steering. The choice is completely up to the customer to use stock or aftermarket, and seems like the majority prefer aftermarket.

- I was sold on the BOB's version of the RRP pole bracket but you didn't think to mention I might need the $20 gray breather tubes! The RRP pole bracket comes with the tubes. If your bracket doesn't come with them, you should know then that I will need the tubes! Frustrated again, pay for more shipping, waiting yet again on another $20 part before I can build.

We had this issue recently brought to our attention. Seeing as people never let us know about these little issues, it takes a while for it to get to us.

If you aren't experienced with working on skis and/or aren't willing to do things like mentioned above or know the ins and outs of all the aftermarket parts you will end up paying more. Also, expect on having to buy even more additional aftermarket parts than you originally thought, not because some stuff wont swap, the hull just looks to smexy to put a stock exhaust in it. :) I probably spent the same amount on additional stuff as I did the hull. I'm not mad about it. I think my BOB looks way better with RRP pole and other parts. I'm only mad because even with all my reasearch I could never seem to order the right stuff...

I think when you advertise the BOB as "backflip on a budget" its is a tad misleading even though it is priced lower compared to others. It can be lower budget but you have to know your own personal limitations when it come times to build and what your setup is going to be. Becuase its advertised as a cheap alteranative I think some people go into it thinking they can spend the 4K and be good to go because parts swap over. A lot of aftermarket hulls have OEM parts that swap over. I think it's a little niave to go into this or an any aftermarket build thinking its not going to cost money more than you orginally expected.

Again, we've built quite a few hulls with stock SJ's as donors. Everything swaps right over, but people choose to purchase aftermarket parts to add value and a more custom look to their ski. Again, Aftermarket parts will need minor modifications in aftermaket hulls.

So between all the bashing and hate on this site for the BOB I think there is some fault on both sides. What DK is doing to step up to the plate should be recognized as even more progression on something that is already awesome even with its flaws, and what we are doing as the members building them providing them feedback can only help it get better. Maybe since they have stepped up those members that bash on them can step up too and try and be more positive.

Sorry for the long post.

As a customer of ours, please feel free to give us a call whenever an issue or concern comes up. We are open to opinions and suggestions. I do apologize for any issues that you may have had during your assembly, but that is the exact reason why we are going through these changes - we see that it is happening and we are trying to prevent it from happening in the future.

Last edited:

DK-Freestyle

2011 World Champion
The 'issues' in our products that I am referring to are more of our latest creations. Towards the beginning of the year, we were doing alright, but things progressively got worse for everyone around our shop, so now I'm doing what I can to get us back to where we should be with our quality and our products.

If anyone would like to call and discuss with me over the phone about any questions, concerns or criticism, our shop number is (925) 706-2858.
I'll be back in next Tuesday.
Criticism, be it good or bad, helps us to address the issues that you guys see the most. So thank you to everyone who has been helpful to us this far.

Thanks for responding DK. I wasn't purposely trying to go off topic with my personal issues or put your back against the wall. I'm am very happy overall with the quality of the hull and hope for the best with you at the helm. But overall I guess the point I was trying to make is that you guys are lacking in documentation. Seeing this is a a budget ski. It is most likely people's first aftermarket ski. When you pile on the additional extra aftermarket parts (which most people seem to be doing) and you don't know much about them or extra parts needed or how its supposed to work with your hull and you guys know but don't document it, it becomes frustrating trying to figure it it all out when all you want to do is build and ride it.

You are a web guy, my suggestion is to build a wiki page with all the faqs laid out on your more common setups and aftermarket parts ran with your hulls.

Last edited:

tightithrash

Zack Bright. I Thrash.
Site Supporter
I will be glad to as soon as one small issue is addressed. According to DK they never saw my build thread and they came up with the whole BOB idea on their own, I don't believe in coincidence to much, check the name on the photo and the date, it tells a much different story. IMHO respect is earned, as far as I am concerned they have done nothing to earn mine !

jesus christ shut the :):):):) up about it already. who gives a :):):):). dont be mad ski clinic ran with something and now there the ones counting greenbacks. you wrote bob on that handle pole after they came out with their ski cuz your butt hurt. shut up shut up shut up. SHUT UP. troll so hard on your own forum with that bull:):):):).

the mods have no affiliation with tem or superfreak skis that im aware off.
other then one bought one and has since sold it. so why do you feel there's favoritism?

If you hate this site so much, you sure seem to spend an awful lot of your life on it hahaha

Do you have any videos of your 300sx doing anything remotely freestyle? It's hard to push the sport with a whole bunch of half completed Kawi hull projects

deftons56

Brian
FRZxZ-yZ80iGaWsiCEbHog2.jpg

SKI BONEZ

SKI -BONEZ
U getting 3 ride geno

we are planning on getting atleast one 3ride... wife is in luv with the footrocket... but she is hodling out and gonna try the 3 ride... she wants to buy from LIL D ... great people... also have my partner ready to buy a hull he is waiting to try a 3ride too... its THEBOBHULL OR A EME... and have riddin almost every ski...

Thats cool i actualy just discovered theres a guy in the town i live in is putting a freak together, its actualy tems personal freak. He got off of him one of the originals, after bower tested theme out for him an betem up, to find the week points, so ill prob get to try a freak out, im deffinately wanting a bob, like to try a 3ride out, sorry for thread jacking lil d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have just bought a XFS and have had nearly all the problems you have just had , it comes with building skis unless you have done it a couple times there's always little things you will miss and need to wait for parts.

i would of bought a bob or really really wanted a freak but the shipping price to Australia is massive our local dealer gets the rickter straight from there factory so it's the same price here as in USA so it works out cheaper to get a XFS then a bob, so what would you get

I have just bought a XFS and have had nearly all the problems you have just had , it comes with building skis unless you have done it a couple times there's always little things you will miss and need to wait for parts.

i would of bought a bob or really really wanted a freak but the shipping price to Australia is massive our local dealer gets the rickter straight from there factory so it's the same price here as in USA so it works out cheaper to get a XFS then a bob, so what would you get

A Footrocket!

Top Bottom