Unacceptable SURF boat mods - discuss

Its all about the surf!
scuppers
not having tow loops

Several guys on here pushing tow loops, I've always wondered why? When I used to race, they were required because the course marshals had a tow line with a hook on it which they could quickly catch a tow loop and get a downed skier out of danger, but when it comes to surf riding I don't see much difference between threading a tow rope through the bow eye or a tow loop. Someone help me out here?

Last edited:

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
Several guys on here pushing tow loops, I've always wondered why? When I used to race, they were required because the course marshals had a tow line with a hook on it which they could quickly catch a tow loop and get a downed skier out of danger, but when it comes to surf riding I don't see much difference between threading a tow rope through the bow eye or a tow loop. Someone help me out here?

Because a good tow rope has a carabiner on each end making it easy to slap onto a tow loop real quick before getting crushed, having to thread it through a standard bow eye could make the difference of a tow in or a sunk ski. Having to risk getting run over by a downed ski while trying to hook up a rope is no fun.

Last edited:
8 year old start stop switch that you replaced with another old used start stop switch because the first one was randomly cutting out. and maybe this thing
2y-557.JPG

Last edited:

Marker Motorsports

Grip it and Rip it!
Because a good tow rope has a carabiner on each end making it easy to slap onto a tow loop real quick before getting crushed, having to thread it through a standard bow eye could make the difference of a tow in or a sunk ski. Having to risk getting run over by a downed ski while trying to hook up a rope is no fun.

I feel like this is much more of an east coast thing? I don't think anyone at oside runs one. We aren't really ever in a hurry to tow, and lately that isn't happening much anyways.

WAB

salty nuts
Thats because your surf comes in on like 20 seconds centers. :fing02:

Really though, with the front & rear tow loop, you just pull up, click & click & GO.

Wilke

X2 stole my life
East coast the wave periods are usually much shorter and we deal with choppy conditions alot more often then not. A quick tow hook up is pretty critical when you only have a 5-10sec wave period and choppy conditions. Not to metntion that most of the east coast is all beach breaks with no channel or any easy way to get out of the break unlike the points you guys get over there.

Its all about the surf!
Yes we are confusing different coasts and different riding conditions with this one. Apparently it's a necessity on the short wave period, poor beach access spots were a lot of East coasters ride. Here in CA most spots we ride have big sandy beaches (like Daytona). When someone sinks there ski, we never tow in the surf impact zone. We let the waves push them to shore, drag the sunk ski up on the beach, pull the plugs, crank out the water and get the ski running right on the spot. We only tow if the battery runs down and we can't get the thing started so there's no rush in getting a ski hooked up for a tow.

Tkmww

Tanner M.
I'm always afraid a shark is going to bite me so I hate hanging out in the water any longer than i need to. So if i lose my ski I swim like a fish to get back to it. If my ski will not start I am getting a buddy to tow me as soon as possible...hahaha.

kcmasterpiece

Sweet Baby Ray's Sucks
im with 227 on this. I dont carry a tow rope when i ride in the jet ski zone (Daytona). I will have one in my car though. if we do ride an inlet, ill bring one since its a long way back to a shore were allowed to beach the skis.

Mr Bojangles

Lord of the Dance
I guess I am a bad guy......

I run a tight -5 pole/steering setup
I have dual scuppers
And my read tray is cut with no more hole in it

BUT!!!!

I plug up my scuppers and just use a bilge
I prefer a tight pole
I have a U bolt and a SS tow cable sunk in the tray
No mater where I ride, I carry a tow rope wrapped twice around my waist, I may no need it, but I have pulled two others out when they needed it. Clip on, and I am out of there in a second!

I think the #1 and #2 thing to stay away from is someone that wants to go out in the surf with a stock 550 or 650 that has never ridden before

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
The surf is like a woman that has left you......

No matter how much you love her and can't wait to see her and ride her, the reality is: she just does not care about you!
And after she hammers you, if you don't get out of her way, she will slam you again! Not spite...It's just what she does.

WILKEY

SO FAR CHANGE SUCKS!!!!!!
Yes we are confusing different coasts and different riding conditions with this one. Apparently it's a necessity on the short wave period, poor beach access spots were a lot of East coasters ride. Here in CA most spots we ride have big sandy beaches (like Daytona). When someone sinks there ski, we never tow in the surf impact zone. We let the waves push them to shore, drag the sunk ski up on the beach, pull the plugs, crank out the water and get the ski running right on the spot. We only tow if the battery runs down and we can't get the thing started so there's no rush in getting a ski hooked up for a tow.

Want a :):):):)ing cookie u lucky bastard? Hahaha

swanny

not safe for clowns
You usually do all your fumbling in the white wash close to shore bud. :clown:

yuuuup. p o s ski is my excuse. fifty cent part kept me from riding after ten minutes again saturday. im about done. shot 69 on the golf course sunday anyway so this jet ski thing is clipped anyway. im switching to tuna melts...no more hoagies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom