Would you pay $1/month to support the site and have ZERO ads?

Would you pay $1/month or $10/year to have ZERO ads on the site?

• Yes

Votes: 169 47.5%
  • No

Votes: 184 51.7%
  • Yes, but a different amount

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters
@ SuperJett:
I definitely don't mind an optional subscription model. BTW I've got a Linux/Apache web server at my house (not T1 hosted or anything) and wouldn't mind virtual hosting and/or mirroring this site. I dunno what your current bandwith limit is, but if it's under 250 GB monthly it's no problem.

But then again I'm not familiar with vbulletin's licensing. I'm just not sure if their EULA would allow for mirroring.

I try and give back to the community whenever I can. Just PM me if you need any help.

Last edited:

The Penguin

triple secret probation
Feeling generous, eh?

An idea: Give members the option to pay for a custom user title for any member they choose. :biggrin:
Also, have members pitch in to temp-ban other people of choice for a time proportional to money spent.
we do that on another site I'm on.

$20 buys a roll of the dice which offers a variety of outcomes
$100 buys an IP ban for a week.

Cannibal

Tasty Human
I think the Marketplace needs a Vendor section. A lot of other sites do this and to post in the Vendor section, you need to become a Vendor. Some sites charge a good penny, but here, I'd just charge $50 a year. Then, the For Sale section would only be for private sellers. NO VENDORS. It's actually very nice to be able to browse all the vendors in one place.

Vendors would be anyone who sells stuff for profit. Doesn't matter whether you buy skis and part them out, buy and sell used parts at a mark up, manufacture and sell parts, a retail operation, etc. If you are here to make money, pay up.

DO NOT CHARGE AVERAGE PEOPLE TO SELL ON THE FOR SALE SECTION. Real bad idea.

I'd also give a marker for each status of each member. Maybe red star for paying member, gold star for paying vendor, green star for moderators...etc.

I'd give some incentives for becoming a member as well. Maybe you don't get a custom avatar or heading under your name unless you are a paying member.

GIL

Power In The Hands Of Few
How option# 172, if you pay 50.00 per year , you are exempt from the Ban Hammer? LMAO That would be a bargain for me, I seem to speak the truth in public too dam much anymore. LOL

R

ridethelip

What the hell, can't we just get the octomom's baby's college fund paid for first?
10.00 small price for the entertainment.

Waternut

Customizing addict
I voted no but I have to admit... After seeing the ad for removing Stretch Marks, I would happily pay $10 a year to never have to see that again!! :puke:

snowxr

V watch your daughters V
I see this dilema as a double edged sword. Sure, lots would pay. That's great that we all love this site that much. But, for everyone that would pay there is another here that won't. I'd pay without a doubt.

I'd also like to see banners made available at a reasonable price to companies within our sport. Not a TON of adds, just a limited amount of space so we don't ruin the appearance here.

I like that SuperJETT doesn't want to limit access to the non-payers, but the payers would like something extra. A gold "suck up" star is probably not what they have in mind. Extra PM's are always nice.

I hardly notice the existing adds, and would like them to stay as long as it helps the site. Pay or not I would like to see ShoppingAdds and small banners from advertisers we would be interested in. If I paid, then didn't get to see the add from a new hot company I would be dissapointed. I'd be missing out.

kawasakit2me

Hooked on the Jamz
Like many said, the ads don't phase me a bit. I would not pay *just* for the purpose of getting rid of them. I *would/will* however donate to keep the site going and keep Darin from feeling stressed about it each month.

There aren't a lot of sites.... or any other that I can think of... that I would donate to. This is a really cool little community built "for the riders, by the riders"... why shouldn't the riders pay for it as well?

It's not as if the donation would go to buying Darin's wife a new Beemer or anything!

:biggthumpup:

The Penguin

triple secret probation
Like many said, the ads don't phase me a bit. I would not pay *just* for the purpose of getting rid of them. I *would/will* however donate to keep the site going and keep Darin from feeling stressed about it each month.

There aren't a lot of sites.... or any other that I can think of... that I would donate to. This is a really cool little community built "for the riders, by the riders"... why shouldn't the riders pay for it as well?

It's not as if the donation would go to buying Darin's wife a new Beemer or anything!

you know better than that. Ramsey told him to only buy it when he can pay cash for it.

hey wait - he's asking us for cash...

:biggrin:

snowxr

V watch your daughters V
Yeah, but 1400 active users X $10 is only $14,000. It'd have to be an old beemer. Real old. Maybe a nice Mazda instead??

Not that Darin is asking, but I would gladly be 1st in line for a banner. Just throwing that out there.

Last edited:

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
you know better than that. Ramsey told him to only buy it when he can pay cash for it.

hey wait - he's asking us for cash...

:biggrin:

ROFL

I drive a 2000 Honda Accord with 160k+ miles and Mindy drives a 2001 Chrsler Town & Country with 120k+. With 3, 5, and 7 year old kids, I wouldn't dare put them in a BMW, they'd destroy it like they've done our current vehicles.

Top Bottom