Other What was your most worthless mod?

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
IDK l have to disagree turfing the rail.Looks great,l always get compliments and if done correctly,it won't come up.

l used to use wheel/well molding for cars on my 550's and if someone bumped the ski,it added protection.Seems like a good thing.

Mark44

Katie's Boss
My ski has the rails turfed however I feel I smartened up on Katie and only installed a pc of turf about 18" long on the bend line in the hood area on top of the rail only for hood tricks.

While I like footholds,

I would have to say my Thrust footholds have been the biggest disappointment so far. While they did fit around the exhaust tube, that was about all that fit. The rest of the fitment was poor at best and its a good thing I wasn't putting them on a real nice ski. I have small feet as well, and they simply don't fit good. I was happier with the fitment of some old dirt cheap footholds that looked home made.

And I did take my time on install...was using tools that would allow me to make small cuts for perfect fitment. The rivet trick wouldn't work..had to use stainless sheet metal screws to even get the holds to flex enough to almost fit...and they even started cracking doing that.

Last edited:

Big Kahuna

Administrator
While I like footholds,

I would have to say my Thrust footholds have been the biggest disappointment so far. While they did fit around the exhaust tube, that was about all that fit. The rest of the fitment was poor at best and its a good thing I wasn't putting them on a real nice ski. I have small feet as well, and they simply don't fit good. I was happier with the fitment of some old dirt cheap footholds that looked home made.

And I did take my time on install...was using tools that would allow me to make small cuts for perfect fitment. The rivet trick wouldn't work..had to use stainless sheet metal screws to even get the holds to flex enough to almost fit...and they even started cracking doing that.

Uh, you use turf and padding to custom form your footholds to your feet if they are not a comfortable fit as they come. Pull your turf or add turf to the exterior of your turf to make them fit better and sand the edges.

sjetrider

615 Freeriders are addicted to T1 madness.
WOW, No one notices the TBM pump stuffer helps the ski stay hooked up more? You have to reduce your prop when using it and I recomend a hooker or mag prop but I think they help some. NO WHERE near the gains of a mag pump though, the mag is incredible in the way it stays hooked up vrs. stock, makes a huge difference in recovery and in surf riding as well as menouvers on flatwater.

Most worthless mod would be front exhaust, never again.

Its all about the surf!
lightweight flywheel.. cant feel it. sure is pretty tho

I'm the most surprized by Stantons claim about lightweight flywheels. I was considering buying one of these. I've heard they don't make a big difference on a Kawi but I know Stanton rides an SJ. Stanton were you refering to a lightened stock flywheel or an aftermarket charging wheel like a Jetinetics?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
A couple of years ago I compared a stock flywheel, stock lightened, and a Jetinetics aftermarket flywheel pretty much back to back on the same motor.
I couldn't tell any difference at all between the stocker and the lightened stocker. The Jetinetics was an improvement, but not several hundred dollars worth.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
An aftermarket flywheel definitely makes a difference. But like matt said, no where near worth a few hundred dollar difference. It should be a 100-150 dollar part at most. not 600 like my TBM flywheel.

A couple of years ago I compared a stock flywheel, stock lightened, and a Jetinetics aftermarket flywheel pretty much back to back on the same motor.
I couldn't tell any difference at all between the stocker and the lightened stocker. The Jetinetics was an improvement, but not several hundred dollars worth.

Was this on a built motor? Reason I ask is I swapped in a #ZERO lightened flywheel on my bone stock motor, and I could feel the difference (albeit it was pretty small). I wonder if the built motors have so much power it just doesn't effect it? Almost like a part that scales better with weaker motors. Maybe im just talking out my ass.

My most worthless was an aluminum finger throttle. The plastic one worked just fine, pure bling factor.

TBM pump cone was a complete waste of money. A stubby cone did more.
Did more what? They do completely opposite things. The TBM helps keep the pump hooked but loads the motor more. The stubby takes load off the motor but sacrifices hookup.

The low end on my ski is much snappier since installing the stubby, but I haven't done any motor mods yet. I might not like it as much once I bump up the power.

Top Bottom